Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IRM Ballast Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by Warbonnet View Post
    Weird Noel, I use a Canon 80D (with nice mics of course) in the day job and for me, they piddle all over any camera phone. Personally find colour vibrancy much better with DSLR than phones. As excellent as the camera on iphone 6 and equivalent Samsung is, they always seem to be very 'grey' in their video colour to me in comparison.

I'm not dismissing phones at all. Have an iPhone 6 myself and it's very good. They're very handy for video on the fly and I have used them for this, but I do prefer my DSLRs. My basic Nikon D3200 does nice video too, but I do admit I've not done much with it video wise.

Was thinking of buying a second D5200 the other week actually, might swerve it now.

Anyway, very good video overall. Really delighted that you're happy with the wagons and thanks for the custom!
    I agree with you totally about phones. Canon 80D is much better at video than all the mid range Nikons. Normally I use the DSLR only for stills. Going to replace current camera with a D7500, but again for still use. The D5200 has been great for stills over the past few years but awkward for indoor video use.

Anyway congrats again you guys on the wagons, we had immense fun yesterday with them on the layout. There is so much fine detail on them we were very careful unboxing and handling them. Glad you liked the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel View Post
    I agree with you totally about phones. Canon 80D is much better at video than all the mid range Nikons. Normally I use the DSLR only for stills. Going to replace current camera with a D7500, but again for still use. The D5200 has been great for stills over the past few years but awkward for indoor video use.

Anyway congrats again you guys on the wagons, we had immense fun yesterday with them on the layout. There is so much fine detail on them we were very careful unboxing and handling them. Glad you liked the video.
    Yeah, it pains me to admit it as I do love my Nikon for stills but Canon has the video bit licked in comparison. The 80D is a lovely bit of kit. Must send you on some links for some mics for your phone that I've been researching which will add with sound, esp. with sound locos.

Thanks once again!
    Railway videos, both real and model http://www.youtube.com/user/franburke

My Fledging Flickr Account (With More Irish Pics Than You Would Expect!)

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

DSLRS are great for video, a lot of short movies are shot on DSLRS. The problem is the depth of field which is very narrow when you are shooting small things close up - like trains. On wide or medium shots they will always have the edge over a phone because of the lens is much better. I've made quite a few shorts films using HD camcorders which are great all rounders for easy point and shoot operation.

Quote Originally Posted by roxyguy View Post
    DSLRS are great for video, a lot of short movies are shot on DSLRS. . .
    Hi Roxyguy. Canon 5D Mk3 has a great track record for professional video, not sure Nikon consumer DSLRs are quite at the same races for video. Cheers. Noel

Panasonic are doing a 4K camcorder for about 700euro, it looks and good and would have easy point and shoot operation versus a DSLR.

I make short movies and I'll be shooting my next one on a DSLR, rather than a camcorder.

I shot this recently on a DLSR and you can see the problem with the depth of field on close ups, no problem with medium to wide shots.

Maybe start a seperate thread on cameras? Over half the posts in this thread on IRM ballast wagons are on cameras. Starting a new thread with a relevant title would make it easier for people to find the info in the future

Quote Originally Posted by skinner75 View Post
    Maybe start a seperate thread on cameras? Over half the posts in this thread on IRM ballast wagons are on cameras. Starting a new thread with a relevant title would make it easier for people to find the info in the future
    Agree, mods if you feel like splitting this thread from post #5 and moving the relevant camera posts from #5 onwards to a new thread like "Filming layouts" in 'General Discussion' or 'Photos and videos of the Prototype' it would be appreciated. Apologies for thread drift. I have a few more pics of IRM Wagons I'd like to post here afterwards.

Some pics of IRM's stunning Ballast Wagons

These wagon are simply exquisite with even more detailing becoming apparent as you study them close up.

Recently weathered B141 up front

Not sure yet about attempting to weather these beauties. The ballast load looks like it could possibly be dulled down, but it is actually the correct bright colour for freshly crush hard core stone straight out of the quarry. I may risk a very light dusting of frame dirt sprayed on the wagons, especially the lower half and axle boxes.
    Last edited by Noel; 21-07-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Can I suggest a light wash on the load, it just makes the stone detail pop.

Name:  26623.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  120.9 KB
    Name:  received_10155337525989028.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  46.1 KB
    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Sharing some great shots we had done for the Ballast packs.

If anyone is still after a Pack 1 - there is 1 (literally 1 pack) remaining, and the other packs are in very short supply!

Name:  1001-07.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  39.0 KB
    Name:  1002-07.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  1003-07.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  39.0 KB
    Name:  over-01.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  35.3 KB