Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inchicore Class J10 Conversion From LNER J72

Hi Guys

I was a bit confused by John's post, but now it's all straightened out- The Mainline model above was offered to CM as a 'Jinty' when I was asked about making it Irish, a Jinty being a model I looked at before for converting, so I said yes go for it. When scanning it I did think it looked a bit odd but not being up on British stuff I just ploughed ahead and looked more at what its going to be.

That said, it will cease to be a 'Jinty' or a 'J72' it's going to be our version of a J10

Yes Kirley I have that drawing, interesting to see the front sandboxes are not on the drawing, the 3Fs & 4Fs I do know a bit about, my favourite British locos, I bought plans for a 3.5inch 4F live steam model which is on the list to do before I die.... actually that will be after all the other stuff I'm doing!

I collected about 6 Bachmann Jintys and 3 4F to do Irish things with but could not bring myself to the point of chopping them up...

Now I'm wandering off...

jhb- good to know Senior saw polished plates as I do like a bit of 'Brass' on a loco- 617 will have brass numerals n rim

Eoin
    Last edited by murrayec; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:00 AM.
    www.ecmtrains.com - Manufacturing the Model Dart

Hi

Yes Kirley its from axle to axle

The Mainline model is 6'7'' at front and 7'0'' at rear, buffer to buffer is 28'6''

Eoin

Thanks Eoin, looking forward to seeing this conversion.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayec View Post
    Hi Guys

jhb- good to know Senior saw polished plates as I do like a bit of 'Brass' on a loco- 617 will have brass numerals n rim

Eoin
    Trouble is, whatever metal they were made of polished to a silvery colour!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Amputation!

Out with the scalpel and razor saws after dinner, nothing to difficult except for the coal bunker- a hefty bit of plastic to create the overhang, so that took time as I wanted to keep a nice line on the back. All the plastic bits besides the front sandbox and bunker were heat glued on and popped off very easy, the metal bits were glued with cyano so acetone was popped on and a good yank removed them....

Name:  J10C-06 IMAG2905.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  J10C-07 IMAG2909.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  J10C-08 IMAG2910.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  J10C-09 IMAG2911.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  87.5 KB

Eoin

Hi

Anyone reading the first few posts may be a bit confused by me referring to the Mainline model as a 'Jinty' - I hope you have worked things out by the time your reading this! Apalogies

Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by jhb171achill View Post
    Trouble is, whatever metal they were made of polished to a silvery colour!
    It was probably cast iron polished up, my historian chap tells me they made plates in brass n iron...

Eoin
    Last edited by murrayec; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:09 AM.

I can confirm that the loco is not a "Jinty", it is a "J10".
    A typical example of Eoin's excellent modelling skills, though I draw the line at his proposal to install a pantograph, he claims it will be needed to boil the electric kettle.

Some progress

The body is now all cleaned up and sanded, ready for hole filling and bits to go on. The cab roof overhang was reduced, rain strips were removed, rounded edge formed on the back of the bunker, and moulding seams removed. The moulded dart and number plate were removed from the smoke box door.
    Name:  J10C-10 IMAG3030.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  J10C-11 IMAG3031.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  81.0 KB

Name:  J10C-12 IMAG3032.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  70.3 KB

I then took a look at the chassis to see if it had implications on the changes to the body shell, one thing stood out- the upstand of the split chassis which houses the motor protrudes into the bunker, but should be able to cover it! A small amount of chassis will have to be removed at rear base to get the rear coupler in, a Kadee 146.
    Name:  J10C-13 IMAG3037.jpg
Size:  108.9 KB

Name:  J10C-14 IMAG3035.jpg
Size:  78.2 KB

To DCC this lump of metal is going to be fun! There is no space between chassis and body shell but I have a plan. It requires a bit of metal to be removed on the top of the chassis between the tanks, there is just about enough room for the DCC chip & wires.
    Name:  J10C-14 IMAG3040.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  J10C-15 IMAG3039.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  115.1 KB

The motor will have to be hacked by cutting the brush tabs to isolate them from the chassis- the original screws that hold the brush plate are the contacts between these plates and the chassis, which has to be eliminated.

Eoin
    Last edited by murrayec; 6 Days Ago at 12:55 AM.

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Looks amazing, Eoin!

None of these were black, though, all grey!
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.