Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craven generator

I would agree with that assessment, Dhu Varren.

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

The Cravens was in use; I traveled in it from Limerick Junction to Portarlington. I didn't notice that the corridor connection would be locked as I didn't need to switch coaches. As it was a warm day 18th June 2003 (found me diary!) the lack of heating didn't twig either.

Ernie
    Last edited by Irishswissernie; 5 Days Ago at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhu Varren View Post
    The original Dutch vans could run 'out of service' in a train of Mk 2 AC stock but, like the Cravens, their gangways were incompatible, and their electrical systems were not suitable for running air conditioning.
    Thanks for the correction and explanation, David.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishswissernie View Post
    The Cravens was in use; I traveled in it from Limerick Junction to Portarlington. I didn't notice that the corridor connection would be locked as I didn't need to switch coaches. As it was a warm day 18th June 2003 (found me diary!) the lack of heating didn't twig either
    I suppose IE could strengthen with the Craven in limited circumstances, return to non-gangwayed coaching, in summer during daylight hours, though this must have been an exceptional circumstance.
    Last edited by DiveController; 5 Days Ago at 04:20 PM.
    "Where Seventeen Railroads Meet the Sea"

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    Dhu Varren, your analysis is exactly correct.
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by DiveController View Post
    I suppose IE could strengthen with the Craven in limited circumstances, return to non-gangwayed coaching, in summer during daylight hours, though this must have been an exceptional circumstance.
    It's possible the coach was not supposed to be in use but that someone forgot to lock the doors...

Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

I inhabit the parallel world, wherein lie gryphons, dwarves, changelings and railway enthusiasts.
    More likely a member of staff in it.

As stated above, a whole host of incompatibility issues (as well as H & S re. gangways) would have prevented such things.

In the "olden days", no such restrictions applied, which is why it's becoming so popular with modellers. ANY wooden coach from any company, Cravens, laminates of all varieties, Bredins and Park Royals could all be in the same train. BR and Dutch vans interchangeable, along with the various types of "tin van".
    “An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support”

Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield View Post
    It's possible the coach was not supposed to be in use but that someone forgot to lock the doors...
    Yes, this is the most likely explanation, I thought nothing of it at the time but then I had been up since 5am and had to sort out my own breakfast at the Ballykisteen Lodge B&B etc. As for locked gangway doors, I regularly caught a service from Basle to Zurich Flughafen at Brugg which had a double deck First Class coach in the single level set. Its connection was/is at the upper level,but it was always in service. Swiss double deck sets often had a single deck Driving Trailer at that time also in regular service. I have added another rarity on Flickr from video stills - a 2 coach Push/Pull set on the Limerick shuttle. https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishs...in/dateposted/

Ernie

That is most certainly a rarity! Thanks for sharing, Ernie!