Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banbridge

Banbridge

Hello everyone!

I seem to have been a box collector for many years but at last I am about to start building a layout. I had considered designing a fictitious layout but couldn't settle on anything. Then I realised that the station I should attempt to build was Banbridge. Most of my family is from there and they used the railway to commute to Lisburn and Belfast and go on day trips and their annual holiday to Newcastle. It was quite an interesting station as it was a junction with lines to Scarva, Newcastle and Knockmore Junction. It had a double slip and two diamond crossings, and signal boxes at the north and south ends. My dad's primary school was beside the Banbridge South box and the loco crews used to wave at the children.

I have found quite a few good photographs taken from the platforms showing the track layout and buildings. However I haven't come across any of the fronts of the station buildings. I purchased this photograph from the Banbridge Chronicle.

Name:  Banbridge.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  52.2 KB

Would any of you know where I could find photographs of the other sides of these two buildings, particularly the one on the left? I would like to build the station viewed from the left hand side as the turntable, goods shed, sidings and River Bann are on that side.

I would appreciate any pointers!

Have you tried The Irish Railway Record
    Society?.
    ENNISCORTHYMAN

Theres one photograph here, though not very good in the collection of the National Library Ireland.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000304686

Hi Tony,

That is an equally sad photograph of the station after the track has been lifted! The footbridge is still in place in this photograph and it shows the metalwork in good detail, although it has lost its roof etc.

However, I had a look at the "Signal box, Banbridge South, Co. Down" photograph, and when I zoomed in it shows the front of the station building in which I am particularly interested! This is the first time that I have seen it from this side. It has a simple canopy. (My dad's primary school's playground was just behind the signal cabin.)

Thank you very much Tony, this photo will help me considerably.

Best regards,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMcGartland View Post
    Theres one photograph here, though not very good in the collection of the National Library Ireland.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000304686

No I hadn't thought of that. However I have been contacted by PM by someone who will try to find something there for me.
    Best regards,
    Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by enniscorthyman View Post
    Have you tried The Irish Railway Record
    Society?.

Quote Originally Posted by Mullafernaghan View Post
    No I hadn't thought of that. However I have been contacted by PM by someone who will try to find something there for me.
    Best regards,
    Ian
    Keep us posted on how you get on.
    ENNISCORTHYMAN

My railway room

It has been some years since I have had a model railway, but I have now managed to declutter enough to have a railway room. It's not big, approximately 4m x 3m, but at least I don't have to climb up a ladder into the roofspace like I once did. (The old floorboards have been replaced!)

Name:  Room_1.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  93.8 KB

Name:  Room_2.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  83.6 KB

I decided that I would have baseboards about 90cm wide right round the room with a lifting section at the door to save my back! There would be a helix extending into the alcove beside the chimney breast descending to a storage level underneath the board along the chimney. Not having great carpentry skills and remembering my previous efforts I thought it best to have the boards professionally made. I liked the look of the MDF baseboards that I had viewed on the internet.

I happened to be travelling down through Yorkshire, and as I was making good time I diverted into Bedale to see White Rose Modelworks. They had an excellent workshop with a couple of really nice layouts under construction, and the builders were very friendly and helpful. However when I returned home I thought that they were probably a bit too far away across the Irish Sea and that I should possibly try someone nearer to home.

Where are you based man, have you not tried Model Rail Baseboards of this parish?

Quote Originally Posted by WRENNEIRE View Post
    Where are you based man, have you not tried Model Rail Baseboards of this parish?
    I'm already on it Dave! Nearly finished them.

Custom made baseboards, helix, storage units and display cabinets. Complete layout service available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mullafernaghan View Post
    It has been some years since I have had a model railway, but I have now managed to declutter enough to have a railway room. It's not big, approximately 4m x 3m, but at least I don't have to climb up a ladder into the roofspace like I once did. . .

. . . I thought that they were probably a bit too far away across the Irish Sea and that I should possibly try someone nearer to home.
    That's a good sized room. Best of luck with the project. Look forward to watching it evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by WRENNEIRE View Post
    Model Rail Baseboards may be closer to you. http://www.modelrailbaseboards.com