Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Narrow Gauge in the Rockies not quite

Blog Entries
    John, that last shot of the Goose and 464 is brilliant. The stock and box cars receding down the slope make the photo, or they do for me!

Blog Entries

RGS 20 running in trial

Having converted the Bachmann Big Haulier to on board battery control it was difficult to resist running a double headed freight with the modified Bachmann Connie 2-8-0. The 4-6-0 is just about capable of pulling 5 cars and caboose without slipping the 2-8-0 can manage 8 the 2-8-2 12 over my hilly line.

Name:  IMG_2364.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  122.9 KB
    Locos on shed waiting departure this is the 1st time I had two battery powered locos on shed.
    Name:  DSCF5209 (2).jpg
Views: 65
Size:  216.8 KB
    #20 turned awaiting departure
    The turntable is a piece of decking timber that pivots on a coach screw. I had intended to replace the timber deck with a metal bridge and proper brass pivot but the current set up works and is trouble free.

The locos was modified to resemble RGS 20 about 5-6 years ago with new plasticard cab, lowered running board, shortened smokebox deeper tender tank, detail fittings include Ozark Miniatures classification lights and builders plates.

Name:  IMG_2367.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  180.5 KB
    Locos backing down I have got to finish the plumbing from the tender airreceivers and tone down the paintwork on No 20 and order some decals!

Name:  IMG_2390.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  107.2 KB
    Double headed train taking the High Line at the Junction. The gondolas are cut in between the locos to help spread the weight on weak bridges/trestles. I am planning to add a wye track in the area to the right of the caboose for turning locos & trains to add more operating interest.

Name:  IMG_2393.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  156.2 KB
    Doubleheader on the 4% grade A bit like a 60 Class or D14 doubleheading with a J15 the locos seem to run well together once the 4-6-0 is leading. I was rather surprised when #20 managed 6 heavy 1:20.3 scale freight cars on the 4% though the morning was dry and sunny!
    John

If I was going there I would'nt be starting here.

Very nice. Looks super John. Looking at that wonderful outdoor layout, the maintenance required to keep track clear on a garden railway seems more that worth the effort. Model train services back here in Ireland seem virtually suspended for the summer season especially with the heat wave here now. Weather too nice to be cooped up indoors, but not in your case.
    Last edited by Noel; 19-06-2017 at 01:29 PM.