Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CIE 60s early 70s era goods wagons

CIE 60s early 70s era goods wagons

I didn't want to drift the news thread on IRM, so separate thread here. Some pics of the wagons that would be great to be able to buy one day as quality RTR models. I know there are some suppliers of kits and low quality RTR, but it would be fab one day if high quality injection moulded fine scale models were available of some of these wagons, especially the Bulleid beat wagon and H-Vans.

The most numerous wagon to ever run on Irish rails and the back bone of freight from the late 50s through to the early 70s

These Vans were found in every siding of every station. Pick up freight when locos shunted and movements were interesting.

The quintessential open wagon.

Loose coupled non-braked pick up freight

Loose coupled non-braked freight

All copyrights to the photo links acknowledged

Classic Irish goods yard scene from early 70s. Photo Ciaran Cooney

Loose coupled, non-braked pick up freight. Trains dropped off a wagon or two at each station, and picked up one or two.

Last edited by Noel; 08-09-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Irish Railway Models Ltd | The next level in Irish railway modelling
    Finely detailed ready-to-run models in 4mm/OO scale
    www.irishrailwaymodels.com

Doesn't that Gort shot just shout out to be modelled? Perfect size and all.

Look at Youghal!!, Every Saturday I drive past that place imagining the droning of 141, 121s on the turntable and the hussle an bussle of the Holiday traffic. so sad to see it as it is now. :/

I would be happy to see a unit going down there just to see the line back in action but it will never be the same.Most likely the old station building would remain fenced off cause the cracks all over it and a bus shelter put up.

That's the thing George. It's great that Gort is opened up again, but it's just an antiseptic mass of galvanised steel and single track.
    No freight handling, no staff, no signal cabin, no sidings. C'est la vie.

Lovely photographs of past years and the railways as they were. Unfortunately, it is the past, and our yesterdays cannot be compared with today. Gort has a reinstated railway line and service, along with a modern station. (If one wishes to use such a term) Unfortunately, Youghal has neither of these, and I doubt I'll be around to see a reinstatement of the line from Middleton to Youghal, should it ever happen!
    I hold happy memories of travelling on these two railway lines. I remember with fondness a wonderful Sunrise as the train I travelled on approached Cobh Junction in the year we celebrated Cork 800. I was travelling on The RPSI Tour that year, and got wind of a special from Youghal to Claremorris on the Sunday morning. No sleep that night. The Knock Special was due to depart for Youghal at 04.30 Hrs. Travelled on the Locomotive and watched with interest as the rust rose off the rails in clouds of dust as we passed along the line. I was not the only person to have heard of this train movement as I, and our Crew, were joined by others of our fraternity that morning.

Oh happy days and lovely memories.

As already mentioned by Dez, Gort as depicted in the photograph relating to this topic would make a wonderful Model Railway scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Weshty View Post
    That's the thing George. It's great that Gort is opened up again, but it's just an antiseptic mass of galvanised steel and single track.
    No freight handling, no staff, no signal cabin, no sidings. C'est la vie.
    Its easy to forget how busy these little stations used to be with pick up goods traffic. I remember spending hours watching B&T and early ST locos shunting loose coupled stock in places like Galway yard, Newbridge, Portarlington, Gort (visiting Uncle), Waterford (home), etc. It was mesmerising with very interesting movements including signalling which I never fully understood. The constant change in pitch of the baby GMs as they patiently shunted stock, often a single wagon off a passing mixed goods train, or some times on the western lines coupled to the rear of passenger trains. It was a golden era alright and so much more interesting than push-pull and fixed rake formation. These stations were alive with activity interspersed with hours of nothing happening except for trains passing each other on loops.

We can't stop progress, but there is nothing stopping us modelling trains when they were interesting to operate, almost Rubik's Cube like mental agility needed by the CIE staff when shunting stock off trains into sidings in the right order. I can still hear the noises, voices, humming engines, metal to metal clinking and clacking, flanges screeching, and couplings being slung unto hooks. H&S today would never have allowed youngsters my age back then line side. Some of the CIE staff gave me amazing amount time telling yarns and explaining how it all worked, what was controlled from Dublin and what was from the local signal box, and what they could do within the station confines off the main lines, and what procedures they had to adopt to keep trains running when analog signalling systems failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blarney View Post

Lovely photographs of past years and the railways as they were. Unfortunately, it is the past, and our yesterdays cannot be compared with today. Gort has a reinstated railway line and service, along with a modern station. (If one wishes to use such a term) Unfortunately, Youghal has neither of these, and I doubt I'll be around to see a reinstatement of the line from Middleton to Youghal, should it ever happen!
    I hold happy memories of travelling on these two railway lines. I remember with fondness a wonderful Sunrise as the train I travelled on approached Cobh Junction in the year we celebrated Cork 800. I was travelling on The RPSI Tour that year, and got wind of a special from Youghal to Claremorris on the Sunday morning. No sleep that night. The Knock Special was due to depart for Youghal at 04.30 Hrs. Travelled on the Locomotive and watched with interest as the rust rose off the rails in clouds of dust as we passed along the line. I was not the only person to have heard of this train movement as I, and our Crew, were joined by others of our fraternity that morning.

Oh happy days and lovely memories.

As already mentioned by Dez, Gort as depicted in the photograph relating to this topic would make a wonderful Model Railway scene.

Old Blarney your evocative description makes one almost feel like they were there. Is there still a plan to evaluate the feasibility of reopening the Youghal line?

Quote Originally Posted by Weshty View Post
    Doesn't that Gort shot just shout out to be modelled? Perfect size and all.
    Has it been modelled? http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/show...-B-N-S-Kinvara